So much for Protracted Buying Process
There we were, getting prepared to investigate every estate car and MPV under the Sun, when all of a sudden (almost) we now own one! It's nothing much, and only cost ?1350, but it should do us okay.
Here are the specs:
- Volkswagen Passat CL 5-door Estate
- Age: 1996 N-Reg
- Mileage: 124000 miles on the clock
- Engine: 1896cc turbo diesel
- Colour: Solid Plain Red
It passed its HPI check with flying colours, although we didn't bother checking the mileage. It's had three previous owners, and really seems to have been looked after. It is truely cavernous inside, and a push-bike can be laid flat with room to spare when the rear seats are folded down.
Naturally we've arranged breakdown cover (Rescue, Recovery and Hosestart) given the age and mileage of the vehicle. It cost ?90 through Norwich Union, but they threw in two months free car insurance (worth around ?56). Norwich Union had given the lowest quote by miles for us, so it worked out relatively cheap.
- Front brakes The pads are 75% worn, so will need replacing soon. Estimated ?100 bill.
- Fuel pump The valves inside are loose but there should be a lot of life in it. ?200 to replace.
- Rear Electric Windows The controls in the front centre console don't work. Around ?35 to put right.
- Keys They're both remote central-locking, but the button doesn't work. Should be a simple button cell job in both of them.
It's quiet in here...Add your comment